Salesforce IntegrationLast Updated: June 06, 2018
If you have a sales team and have reached a certain scale, you're likely using Salesforce. Since Drift is a communication platform for sales, it's only natural that we have a Salesforce integration. Install takes 30 seconds. All you need to do is sign in with your Salesforce details and you'll be good to go.
Take it from one of our customers who posted this on ProductHunt...
How it works
The Drift <> Salesforce integration does two core things:
1 - Lead records are created in Salesforce for leads that originate in Drift
When a new conversation starts in Drift, we take the email address and look it up in Salesforce. A few things can happen...
- There is no lead or contact record associated with that email address. In this case, we will create a brand new lead record
- There is an existing lead or contact record associated with that email address. In this case, we will add the chat transcript on that record once the conversation is closed.
- There was once a lead record for this email address that has since been converted into an opportunity or contact. In this case, we will find any/all records it has been converted to and add the chat transcript on that record once the conversation is closed.
2 - Chat transcripts are added to lead, opportunity, and contact records in Salesforce
Once a conversation's status in Drift is changed to closed, then we will do the following...
- We find the lead or contact record with that email address and we add all of the messages since the last time the conversation's status was set to closed as a completed task.
- If when we try to find the lead record we recognize that the record had been converted to an opportunity or contact record with that email address, we add all of the messages since the last time the conversation's status was set to closed as a completed task.
- If that conversation is then opened again in the future and more messages are sent, once it is closed again we will send another completed task to Salesforce with all the messages that happened between the time it was re-opened and closed again.
How We Handle Lead and Activity Ownership:
There are a couple options for configuring who will be set as the Salesforce Lead Owner. To change these settings, navigate to your Apps page and search for Salesforce.
Then, click the Sync Settings tab.
From there, click Show Advanced Settings under the "Sync leads from Drift to Salesforce" box. This will reveal the lead owner settings.
You have the option to set the Lead Owner to be: the team member with a scheduled meeting, the team member the end user was last routed to, and the user who closed the conversation.
These same options are available for setting the Salesforce Activity Owner.
If you do not want bad leads being pushed into Salesforce:
In order to keep your Salesforce account clean, and full of the best leads, there is a way to make sure that your bad leads will not be pushed from Drift to Salesforce.
If you mark your bad lead as "Unqualified", closing the conversation will then not push that user to Salesforce:
Here is a screenshot of a completed task with a chat transcript created with the Drift <> Salesforce integration. It includes the timestamps, the agent's name, lead's name, the lead's email (if we have it), and a link to the conversation.
Which fields can't I map to Salesforce in our field mapping page because of the Clearbit agreement?
- Employment Seniority
- Display Location
- Display Name
- Github Handle
- Github Followers
- Twitter Handle
- Twitter Followers
- Facebook Handle
- LinkedIn Handle
Usually, the last name of the prospect is still required for the lead in Drift to be transferred into Salesforce. What if you don't have that and you just have their email when they start a conversation?
Good question. With our integration, you don't need a last name for the lead to be passed back. If we don't have a last name, we pass "[ MISSING ]" as the last name. If that is updated at any point in Drift, and the name hasn't changed from "[ MISSING ]" in Salesforce, we update it to the name in Drift.
If there is a record associated with a Drift lead's email address in Salesforce -- will it change any attributes on that record in Salesforce?
Nope - we currently don't do anything with your existing attributes.
Will Drift send previous contacts and conversations to Salesforce once I connect?
At the moment, the Drift <> Salesforce connection will only begin syncing lead data from the moment it's connected, forward.