Will Drift slow down my website?
This means that users can interact with your site while Drift is loading in the background. We wait until the page has fully loaded (by waiting for the page's "load" event to fire) before we load the chat widget.
I did a test and it said Drift is slowing down my site. What's going on?
There are a few possible reasons why a speed test of your site would report an increase in page load time:
- Your speedtest is measuring "total load time" instead of the actual time it takes to load your page
- The speed test waits after the page is loaded to see if anything else loads later, and counts that toward the total
- Another script on your page is adding time before the "load" event fires, preventing Drift from loading sooner
- Another script on your page is blocking, preventing Drift from loading
- The speed test is penalizing you for not caching the script that contains your Widget settings. That script is dynamic and shouldn't be cached longterm