If you have a sales team and have reached a certain scale, you're likely using Salesforce. Since Drift is a communication platform for sales, it's only natural that we have a Salesforce integration.
Install takes 30 seconds. All you need to do is sign in with your Salesforce details and you'll be good to go.
Take it from one of our customers who posted this on ProductHunt...
In order to access this integration, you must be on an enterprise Drift account. Contact us by starting a chat or go here to learn more.
How it works
The Drift <> Salesforce integration does two core things:
- Lead records are created in Salesforce for leads that originate in Drift
- Chat transcripts are added to lead, opportunity, and contact records in Salesforce
1 - Lead records are created in Salesforce for leads that originate in Drift
When a new conversation starts in Drift, we take the email address and look it up in Salesforce. A few things can happen...
- There is no lead or contact record associated to that email address. In this case, we will create a brand new lead record
- There is an existing lead, or contact record associated to that email address. In this case, we will add the chat transcript on that record once the conversation is closed.
- There was once a lead record for this email address that has since been converted into an opportunity or contact. In this case, we will find any/all records it has been converted to and add the chat transcript on that record once the conversation is closed.
Here is a screenshot of a record created with the Drift <> Salesforce integration:
2 - Chat transcripts are added to lead, opportunity, and contact records in Salesforce
Once a conversation's status in Drift is changed to closed, then we will do the following...
- We find the lead or contact record with that email address and we add all of the message since the last time the conversation's status was set to closed as a completed task.
- If when we try to find the lead record we recognize that the record had been converted to an opportunity or contact record with that email address, we add all of the message since the last time the conversation's status was set to closed as a completed task.
- If that conversation is then opened again in the future and more messages are sent, once it is closed again we will send another completed task to Salesforce with all the messages that happened between the time it was re-opened and closed again.
Here is a screenshot of a completed task with a chat transcript created with the Drift <> Salesforce integration. It includes the timestamps, the agent's name, lead's name, the lead's email (if we have it), and a link to the conversation.
Usually the last name of the prospect is still required for the lead in Drift to be transferred into Salesforce. What if you don't have that and you just have their email when they start a conversation?
Good question. With our integration, you don't need a last name for the lead to be passed back. If we don't have a last name, we pass "[ MISSING ]" as the last name. If that is updated at any point in Drift, and the name hasn't changed from "[ MISSING ]" in Salesforce, we update it to the name in Drift.
If there is a record associated with a Drift lead's email address in Salesforce -- will it change any attributes on that record in Salesforce?
Nope - we currently don't do anything with your existing attributes.
Will Drift send previous contacts and conversations to Salesforce once I connect?
At the moment, the Drift <> Salesforce connection will only begin syncing lead data from the moment it's connected, forward.