Zapier IntegrationLast Updated: September 28, 2018
Zapier is a wonderful tool that helps users automate specific workflows between applications.
In short, our Zapier integration allows you to say "If X happens in Drift, then Y happens in another app" or vice versa
With the integration, you can connect Drift with 500+ applications!
Here are just a few examples of actions you can do with the Drift<>Zapier Integration:
- Add new contacts in Drift as leads in another CRM
- Send chat transcripts to an email
- Trigger email campaigns in other apps once a contact in Drift provides an email
Set it up:
Select a Trigger
Starting points can change depending on what you're trying to accomplish with the Zap.
We'll start with a Drift Trigger. (adding actions from a third party into Drift would begin with a trigger for the other app)
Here is a list of all the triggers that Drift offers:
A few things to note:
Triggers fire at different times and therefore capture different amounts of information.
A Trigger does not necessarily mean you're gathering all the information you need. In the Pull in Samples step, you can view the available info in the drop down. We'll show you how to add another action to get the rest.
Connect the two accounts
If you haven't connected your Drift and Zapier accounts, now is the time to do so!
Navigate to Settings>Apps>Zapier and you should see a token that looks something like this:Copy the ink and paste it into Zapier, the location where you paste the link can be seen below:
Select a Sample
After deciding on your trigger you need to pull a sample from Drift.
Depending on the trigger you used, different information will be available, here are a few examples:
- Conversation Closed - transcript, conversation link, tags, agent name
- New Lead - name, email, phone, other attributes
- User Reached Goal - conversation link, goal id, playbook id
If you're using one of these triggers, like Conversation Closed, adding a second action is how you can grab the contact information as well.
Add a Second Action for Contact Data
- Under "Test This Step" find a sample and unfurl the drop down.
- Then find either the Anonymous ID or the End User ID. (this example has an Anonymous ID)
- This "Search" step is essentially telling Zapier to go into Drift and retrieve any relevant attributes.
- This will allow you to send this sample, and any other sample you can build, over to another app!
An “Action” either takes something that happens in another app and maps it back over to Drift, or takes something that happens in Drift, and makes something happen in another app.
Again, you can also reverse the process and have a third party trigger make something happen in Drift.
Here are the available options for actions in Drift.
In our example, we set up a zap to send User Id and Conversation Duration over to a Google Sheet.
What if we don't want every conversation? What if, for example, we just want conversations with users who hit the Book a Demo lead stage?
We can set up a Filter by Adding a Step or clicking the plus icon between existing steps!
Setting up the Filter is relatively intuitive.
Select the attribute, we then recommend using (Text) Contains, and, of course, enter whichever condition you'd like to filter by.Lead Stage, specifically, is under Attributes Classification.
Not using Drift yet? Get your free account here.