How do notifications work in Drift?Last Updated: October 03, 2018
Drift can send you notifications three different ways:
- Desktop (in the top or bottom corner of your screen, depending on OS)
- Mobile push (You must have our iPhone or Android apps installed and be logged in in order for this to work)
You can view and update your notification settings here. By default, you will get notifications to all of these channels.
You can get notifications to as many or as little of these ways as you'd like. And for browser notifications and mobile push notifications, you can choose whether or not to also get a sound along with them while you're in app.drift.com.
How and when notifications send
If you are not active, we'll notify you about any new messages through the notification channels you chosen (desktop, push, email).
If you are active, we will send you browser notifications, but not push notifications (even if you have them enabled) because it means you're actively in Drift and it would be annoying for your phone to constantly buzz about conversations you're already answering.
For email, to avoid flooding your inbox, if any more messages are sent after the first email notification, we wait 15 minutes until the last message and then we'll send you an email with everything you missed in that conversation. In an ongoing conversation, we'll queue messages to notify you about every 15 minutes, with the final notification coming those 15 minutes after the last message. So you can expect one initial email, then emaiils every 15 minutes through the exchange if it's a continuous conversation.
Why didn't I get a push notification for something?
You may be testing notifications or noticed that you didn't get a push notification for a specific message.
First, always check the troubleshooting warnings we have in-app, for example:
If that didn't work, there are some other reasons, such as:
- You have the Drift mobile app currently open
- You have a tab with Drift open and it's focused.
- You have push notifications disabled for the Drift app in the Android or iOS settings for your phone
- You are actively logged into app.drift.com on your computer and have moved your mouse or typed something in the last 20 seconds
- The conversation was assigned to somebody else automatically and your settings are so that you only get notified of conversations assigned to you
- You have push notifications turned off in your settings
- You're either not logged into your mobile app or you're logged into a different account than the one you're expecting a notification for
- You've turned off your notification via the little bell icon you can see when you click on your avatar
- Use this setup for desktop notifications to make sure you never miss one! Requiring interaction means the notifications will stick around until you click or dismiss them.
FAQ about notifications
Do browser notifications work in all browsers?
Yep! Browser notifications work in Chrome, Safari, and Firefox.
How do I make sure I get browser notifications?
Browser notifications will appear at all times regardless of whether Drift is open in a browser and running in the background. This setting can be toggled off at any time in your settings.
Are you not getting the browser notifications even with app.drift.com open?
Check that they are enabled in your browser.
Can I change the sound or make it louder or softer?
You can change the sound here, but there's currently no option to make it louder or softer. You can turn up or turn down the volume on your computer accordingly.
Can I get notified about every single message?
You can! - You can set your notification settings to "All Conversation" so you will be notified even if you are not a participant in the chats.
I was getting email notifications but now they stopped - what gives?
If all of your settings are turned on to receive email notifications, you may no longer get emails if something in your email servers caused one of our emails to bounce. Our system automatically stops sending email notifications to accounts where emails bounce so we don't wind up in future spam folders. If you've exhausted all reasons as to why you might not be getting emails from Drift anymore, let us know and we can take a look.